5 Reasons to Appreciate Diamonds
Earlier this year, The Daily Beast posed the question: “Why have millennials fallen out of love with diamonds?”
According to market research, young people seem to be choosing non-diamond goods and experiences over diamond engagement rings and other diamond jewelry. They cite reasons like concerns with ethical mining processes, a lack of funds to purchase diamond jewelry, and simply having other priorities.
As a longtime lover of colored gemstones like emeralds and amethysts, I didn’t start loving diamonds until a few years ago, when I learned about their rich history and amazing properties! Now I can appreciate nearly any diamond, even if it’s small, has a large inclusion (these diamonds can be interesting too!), or is shaped in a way that doesn’t suit my tastes.
Diamond Mansion would like to remind everyone that diamonds should be appreciated no matter what your style tastes or personal beliefs, and here are five reasons why:
1. Only about 30% of diamonds mined worldwide are gem-quality diamonds. What does “gem quality” mean? It means that these particular diamonds are worthy of being cut into faceted shapes, and they’re used in jewelry. The other 70% of diamonds are used for industrial purposes. Source: http://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-diamond-fun-facts
2. All diamonds are at least 990,000,000 years old. Try to wrap your mind around that. The diamond on your finger or in any other piece of jewelry has existed longer than you can possibly imagine, before recorded history. No wonder diamonds symbolize everlasting love! Source: http://nature.berkeley.edu/classes/eps2/wisc/Lect6.html
3. Both diamonds and graphite are made from the same material: carbon. However, diamonds are the hardest material, and graphite is a very soft material. Structurally, the only difference between the two materials is how the carbon atoms are linked. Source: http://nature.berkeley.edu/classes/eps2/wisc/Lect6.html
4. A D color, Internally Flawless (IF) diamond only represents .001% of the world’s diamond production. These near-perfect diamonds are extremely rare, even in small carat weights. Source: http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/pure-perfection-d-flawless-a-cut-above-923.htm
5. Diamonds are common in outer space. According to Geology.com, “researchers have developed a strategy for finding diamonds in space that are only a nanometer (a billionth of a meter) in size.” These diamonds are too small for engagement rings, but they might help scientists understand how life first developed on Earth. Source: http://geology.com/nasa/diamonds-in-space.shtml
Aren’t these some amazing facts about diamonds? You can visit GIA’s Diamond Fun Facts page to learn more or view Diamond Mansion’s complete selection of engagement rings to learn how we can custom design your engagement ring with a diamond that meets your needs, lifestyle, and aesthetic preferences.
Featured photo by TVZ Design