6 Ways to Keep Jewelry Clean for Decades to Come
Life moves fast. As human beings, we’re constantly running around from place to place, almost 24/7. On any given day, we may be in the office, at the grocery store, sitting in traffic, picking up after ourselves, cooking dinner or just laying around the house on a rainy day. During the daily routine, it’s easy to neglect the precious and expensive jewelry that we wear on a daily basis.
Hours turn into days and days turn into months and you realize, a little too late, that your diamonds have lost their luster and shine or worse..a precious gem or diamond is missing. Don’t panic or cancel your busy day just to wallow over broken or damaged jewelry. Avoid the situation all together and follow our simple steps to keep your jewelry clean for years to come. Jewelry is a timeless treasure that should be passed on for generations to come and we’re here to help make that possible.
Household Cleaning Items
There are countless products on the market that claim to keep your jewelry looking brand new. Before you head to your local convenience store, check your cabinets for these household products that will do the trick.
- Aluminum Foil – Line a small bowl with aluminum foil and fill it with hot water. Mix one tablespoon of bleach-free laundry detergent and let jewelry soak for a minute or two. This process, known as ion exchange, is similar to how silverware is kept clean.
2. Baking Soda – Not only has your diamond lost its shine but months of dirt and dust have made a home in the small crevices of your favorite pieces of jewelry. Make a thick paste using ¼ cups baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water. Use the paste to coat the jewelry and then pour vinegar over it to rinse it clean. This will remove all the dirt and dust from places you didn’t even know existed. Do not use this technique for pearls.
3. Vodka– You’re at the bar, sipping on a vodka soda when you realize the diamonds on your bracelet are looking very dim. This is an emergency since your date is scheduled to arrive any minute now *nervously looks at watch.* Dip your napkin in your drink and use it to clean the diamonds and hopefully bring it back to its best condition before your date arrives.
Best Jewelry Cleaner Brands
Household items are always a cheap and practical option for keeping your jewelry clean but if you have the time and resources, purchasing an actual jewelry cleaner is probably ideal and will give you the best results. Here are some brands that people hail as the absolute best on the market right now.
4. Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner – This type of device can be pricey and probably only useful if you have a lot of real diamonds in your collection. This is a great alternative to bringing your jewelry into a professional to clean and will yield very similar results. It is available on Magasonic’s website for $39.99.
5. Blitz Gem & Jewelry Concentrate – There are a lot of solutions out there that claim they are the best for cleaning jewelry. Blitz Gem & Jewelry Concentrate is one of the better, more well-known brands and is guaranteed to bring your jewelry back to life. An 8 oz. bottle will cost you around $6 on Amazon and is best used twice a week. Other reputable brands include Brilliant Jewelry Cleaner, Sparkle Bright All-Natural Jewelry Cleaner and Connoisseurs Precious Jewelry Cleaner.
6. Jewelry Wipes and Clothes – If you’re constantly on the go, keeping a wipe or cloth in your purse is ideal to clean your jewelry at any given moment. Connoisseurs has the most effective cleaning and polishing clothes without the mess or strong odor.
Jewelry is, no doubt, a timeless treasure. We often receive jewelry to mark momentous milestones in our lives such as graduations, engagements, birthdays and other special occasions. It’s important to keep it clean, regardless of price or value. If you follow a few of these steps frequently, your jewelry will look brand new for years to come. Don’t forget that Diamond Mansion has free lifetime jewelry cleaning and maintenance for customers!
Now that your jewelry is CLEAN, keeping it safe is a whole new problem. Tune back in next week to learn smart, easy and convenient ways to keep your jewelry safe.